Apr 4, 2009

More Frogs and Two Bats

Thursday night April 2 found my daughter and I at Legion Park in Altoona. As dusk was settling, two bats flitted across the parking lot. I'd have to say the wingspan of both bats were about 10 to 12 inches. I saw some cream colored markings on the wing of one bat, but I can't say which species it might have been.

Getting out of the car at home, the spring peepers were at full tilt. The temperature was in the upper 50s. Then I picked up the trill of toads probably 150 yards off to the southwest. It was great to hear toads. It wasn't until the next morning at 6AM that I heard the third species, wood frogs. Their unusual quacking was a welcome edition to the chorus.

Rain and probably snow is in the forecast for the next few days. But winter is losing the battle and the advance of spring is definitely in the air.

No comments: