Apr 27, 2009

Heat Wave

Temperatures have been in the high 80s since Saturday. This after sleet and rain on Wednesday, April 22nd and snow and rain on Monday April 20th. Still, the migrants are back in force. I stopped at the Hollidaysburg Library this afternoon and had four chimney swifts (they were twittering long before "twittering" on phones took place) fly by in formation. I believe I heard an oriole this evening, and a hummingbird did a flyby.

It's actually hot. While I am sure this will generate some great tans and lawn work, I'm praying for a lot more rain and milder temperatures. Things are still dry. And the rain needs to come.

Other noteworthy nature stuff: toads have been trilling for two days. The peepers continue peeping. There are at least 21 great blue heron nests in the nearby rookery. And three deer were grazing in my yard last evening when I pulled in.

No comments: